From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmasking modular X
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:14:29
1 On Wednesday 25 January 2006 21:47, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 09:18:28PM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > There's no other way to do it given repoman's state and the requirements.
4 >
5 > I was talking long term. One time kludges suck (but occur), would like to
6 > see something a bit less short sighted for this though- variants of this
7 > request will come up sooner or later (most likely in the form of can we
8 > warn/error on new commits of deprecated deps).
9 >
10 > Might be wise discussing potential solutions for it.
11
12 This is off-topic now.
13
14 > > If you'd like to make repoman pluggable, convert all the current checks to
15 > > plugins and then make a new plugin for this one and do it all by this
16 > > weekend, be my guest. :P
17 >
18 > Harass antarus, he's been working on integrating swegeners rewrite of
19 > repoman checks (plugins effectively) into mainline repoman. :P
20 >
21 > Besides, a massive change to repoman with 3 days to go is a no go anyways
22 > (kind of limited the choices there) ;)
23
24 Would 10 days or 17 days really be any different?
25
26 > > Besides, what's wrong with hardcoded atoms in repoman anyway?
27 >
28 > portage (by extension repoman) is used beyond gentoo. Not everyone may be
29 > at the same step as we are for mod x. End result of hardcoding gentoo
30 > specific crap into repoman is that you force derivatives of gentoo
31 > (vidalinux or genux fex) to start hacking up portage source to remove said
32 > hardcoding.
33 >
34 > Portage exists beyond gentoo; thus gentoo specific hacks should be avoided
35 > when possible.
36
37 Such as warning/failing on:
38 * the server's repository path is "/space/cvsroot"
39 * any extensions to metadata.xml
40 * larger-than-20k-files
41 * not being copyrighted to Gentoo Foundation
42 * not being distributed under GPLv2
43
44 There's probably others but all of those things are Gentoo specific and cause
45 no less trouble than what a virtual/x11 check might cause.
46
47 > So... long term?
48
49 Refactor/rewrite/modularize/blah repoman. In the mean time, make do with what
50 we have and let Gentoo derivatives do the same.
53 Jason Stubbs
54 --
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list