From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SAT-based dependency solver: request for test cases
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2018 08:20:50
1 W dniu wto, 06.02.2018 o godzinie 11∶52 +0100, użytkownik Michael
2 Lienhardt napisał:
3 > Dear all,
4 >
5 > With the help of some friends and colleagues, I am working on an SAT-based dependency solver for portage.
6 > We need your help to test it and possibly improve in the long run the already great portage toolset.
7 >
8 > To help, you can send us the tar generated by this bash script: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/HyVar/gentoo_to_mspl/master/benchmarks/get_installation.sh
9 > This bash script extracts your world file, the USE flags and keywords configuration of your system and the list of installed packages you have (it should not take more than few seconds).
10 > With this, we will see if our solver is able to recreate your system and how much time it takes.
13 To be honest, I don't think this is the right approach to the problem.
14 Truth is, dependencies in Gentoo are seriously broken, and most of
15 the developers aren't even aware of that because of layers upon layers
16 of hacks in Portage that make emerge somewhat go on.
17
18 If you are really able to build something on top of the input you
19 receive, it's probably going to be even worse than what's already
20 in Portage.
21
22 Example: many packages have impossible circular dependencies. However,
23 Portage conditionally pretends they don't exist, preferring some random
24 install-time breakage over fixing the packages in question.
27 Best regards,
28 Michał Górny