From: twofourtysix <twofourtysix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE="minimal" for kernel sources
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:54:08
1 On 05/09/05, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
2 > I have a couple of old machines I maintain and emerging and unmerging
3 > kernel sources take a while because there are so many files. Also one
4 > set of gentoo sources takes about 230MB of disk space. By removing stuff
5 > not belonging to x86 I was able to succesfully run make with 58MB/230MB
6 > removed. The stuff I removed:
7 > arch/* except i386 and x86_64
8 > include/asm-* expect asm-generic, asm-i386 and asm-x86_64
9
10 Is this safe? Various parts of the kernel have been known to pull in
11 things from outside the obvious places. I don't think the source tree
12 is intended to be used like this, so your proposal could lead to build
13 errors. Besides, does this really matter? Disk space grows on trees,
14 and with modern file systems it's not like limited inode counts are an
15 issue.
18 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list