From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo on VMWare - few ideas
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 07:35:48
1 Hi all,
2
3 I finally get to test the new 2006.0 LiveCD and the new installer (GUI
4 version). It certainly has many kinks to be ironed out, but it is a
5 great new start!
6
7 I am now waiting for the install on a vmware-workstation-5.5 while
8 reading what Google had to say about "VMWare Gentoo"...
9
10 A few quick ideas:
11
12 1. Wouldn't be great if we have a pre-built VMWare machine that gets
13 released with every new Gentoo release?
14
15 The problems:
16 Somebody has to do it: /me is trying, somebody else already
17 using it?
18
19 As it will be pre-installed Gentoo, the many options that the
20 installer provides will be already pre-shoosen... However Gentoo
21 is flexible enough to change them after that.
22
23 Somebody has to host it: not sure how does this fit inside
24 Gentoo mirrors, it will probably be the size of a LiveCD
25
26 Somebody has to support it: how many devs and how many skilled
27 users are there for gentoo on vmware?
28
29 It depends on commercial closed-source software... Ir is it
30 useful with VMPlayer only?
31
32 Yeah, and the HOWTO [1] has to be updated...
33
34 [1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Install_Gentoo_on_VMware_in_Windows_NT/2K/XP
37 What is it worth:
38 For windoze people it will be a great way to experience/play
39 with Gentoo
40
41 For the challengers, using hardmasked-and-brake-my-gentoo
42 ebuilds in a nice snadbox will be easy
43
44 Just a quick preview of the next release or any other feature
45 bug
46
47 2. As a result of idea 1 and using the info from [2] the Gentoo
48 community can get lots of fame and some people can get some money.
49
50 [2] http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/challenge/
53 Kalin.
54 --