From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo git workflows and the stabilization/keywording process
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:35:36
1 On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 3:27 PM, W. Trevor King <wking@×××××××.us> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 03:13:35PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 2:28 PM, W. Trevor King <wking@×××××××.us> wrote:
4 >> > On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 02:13:53PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >> >> Perhaps the c clause should be clarified that the source files
6 >> >> themselves were not modified - not the commit message.
7 >> >
8 >> > The DCO text is verbatim copies only [1], so I don't think
9 >> > adjusting clauses is legal.
10 >>
11 >> I copied it from /usr/src/linux/Documentation/SubmittingPatches
12 >> which is GPLv2, as far as I can tell.
13 >
14 > Luis R. Rodriguez and I spent some time trying to track this down with
15 > the authors while I was factoring the signed-off-by documentation out
16 > into a stand-alone repository [1,2]. There was some debate about
17 > whether the text was copyrightable, but the explicit copyright claim
18 > and license on the Linux Foundation's DCO page [3] settles it for me.
19
20 Great to hear that it settles it for you, but as far as I can tell,
21 the Linux Foundation has released it under the GPL and continues to do
22 so to this day. I suppose they can sue me if they don't agree, not
23 that I can see why they would want to. :)
26 >> > Personally, I don't think the maintainer appending their s-o-b to
27 >> > the user's commit is all that important (certainly not worth
28 >> > blowing away the user's signature) when they can just sign and
29 >> > s-o-b an explicit merge commit.
30 >>
31 >> Agree. No need to modify the original commit.
32 >
33 > So the policy in the wiki should be:
34 >
35 > “Don't clobber the user's signature on a commit, even to add your
36 > Signed-off-by. Instead, explicitly merge signed user commits, or
37 > have the user reroll the commit with your tweaks and re-sign it.”
38
39 I disagree with this.
40
41 I have no objections to keeping the original commit. However, I do
42 object to requiring that the original commit being preserved.
45 Rich