From: Agostino Sarubbo <ago@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] The status of the 'minor' arches in gentoo
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 16:04:01
1 In the last time I'm helping some other arches (also arches which I have no
2 interest) because they appears understaffed.
3
4 Days ago, I tried to make a virtual machine with qemu, for SH since the dev-
5 machine[1] is a bit slow; well, I discovered we have no ISO[2] available and
6 there is no handbook[3] for it.
7
8 The same thing is for S390/S390X/M68K/. So how I am able to install one of
9 that _supported_ arches if there isn't any sort of guide?
10
11 An interesting fact is that we have an handbook for MIPS[4], a declared
12 unsupported architecture (does not make sense for me).
13
14 Another example is that we have no stable keyword on GCC/glibc for m68k and I
15 don't know if I need to use another compiler or another libc.
16
17 Checking on bugzilla I saw no report for some of those arches, so for me that
18 _partially_ means that probably there are very few users for those arches on
19 gentoo.
20
21 Now, imho, we have 2 choice:
22
23 1)Support them with an iso or at least a manual if we can't do an handbook
24 2)Lose the stable keyword and don't waste manpower anymore.
25
26 What do you think about?
27
28 Ref:
29 [1]: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/dev-machines.xml
30 [2]: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml
31 [3]: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/#doc_chap2
32 [4]: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-
33 mips.xml?style=printable&full=1
34 --
35 Agostino Sarubbo / ago -at- gentoo.org
36 Gentoo Linux Developer