From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] DB vs SCM (was Re: [RFC] Some sync control)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:12:06
1 Hi,
2
3 Since this is a different question which got buried in the other
4 discussion, I appreciate it should be a new thread:
5
6 I'm a bit confused about all the portage tree stuff. There's just under
7 25,000 ebuilds, which are maintained by about 100 devs (not sure of exact
8 number, taken from a forum post.) I guess what I'm asking is why this isn't
9 just a database.
10
11 Please note, I'm not talking about applications like portage or pkgcore,
12 just the ebuild text files, which I understand have one maintainer?
13
14 I appreciate that source control is needed to maintain files over a period
15 of time and to roll back changes. Does that happen with ebuilds?
16
17 I'm thinking in any case that a db app can save old revisions or use a svn
18 backend. I'm looking at this from a workflow perspective, in terms
19 especially of the security issue around giving commit access to the whole
20 tree. If the individual maintainer only has permission for those ebuilds
21 s/he is responsible for, it might make it easier to allow new people write
22 access.
23
24 Sorry if this has all been discussed before.
25
26 (Please note: I'm not discussing the mechanisms by which software might be
27 installed for the end-user, rather the back-end which you devs use, of
28 which I admittedly have no experience.)
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list