From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: /etc/hostname on gentoo
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 07:13:04
1 On 08/23/2016 12:57 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 02:45:20PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> Symlinking /proc into /etc/hostname is still useful because it not
4 >> only handles container hostnames (keep in mind that two containers
5 >> could share the same /etc), but it also covers cases where the
6 >> hostname changes, and it doesn't require writing to etc (which in
7 >> general shouldn't be used to store state).
8 >>
9 >> The people who are saying /etc/hostname shouldn't really exist are
10 >> completely right. However, if for whatever reason we did want to
11 >> provide it for compatibility (just like mtab), then a symlink to /proc
12 >> at least ensures it returns the same answer as the system call.
13 >
14 > My understanding of /etc/hostname is it is a widely used standard for
15 > storing the name of the host and it is used to set the name of the host
16 > on bootup. I just ran a google search of /etc/hostname, and it gets a
17 > number of hits.
18 >
19 > Here is what I'm looking at in OpenRC:
20 >
21 > I am planning to change the logic in /etc/init.d/hostname so that if
22 > /etc/hostname exists, the first word out of that file will be used as
23 > the hostname rather than any setting in /etc/conf.d/hostname. If you
24 > don't want /etc/hostname, just don't create it and the settings from
25 > /etc/conf.d/hostname will still be used.
26 >
27 > It turns out this has nothing to do with the Docker situation I brought
28 > up. Whether or not a docker container should be able to access the
29 > hostname of the host it is running on is a separate question.
30 >
31 > William
32 >
33 That seems like a fair compromise. Those who want /etc/hostname get to
34 use it, those who don't won't need to change anything.
35
36 Will other packages be able to modify or create the file and thus
37 jeopardize anything?
40 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
41 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
42 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6