From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP ??: Critical News Reporting
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 09:14:18
1 On Friday 04 November 2005 02:43, Nathan L. Adams wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > Not necessarily the website imo, some central store where it's pushed
4 > > out to all of the locations though (which I suspect you're getting
5 > > at).
6 >
7 > I forgot to clarify one point. I'm saying that http://errata.g.o/
8 > should be the *official* source where users go to find the info, not
9 > neccessarity the place where the raw data is stored and pushed to other
10 > places (although it certainly could be).
11
12 I'm saying that /usr/portage/news should be the *official* source where
13 users should go to find the info. http://erata.g.o would be a secondary
14 source, that while officially supported, is not the main source.
15
16 The reason is that errata.g.o would not be able to offer the same user
17 experience as emerge --news would. errata.g.o does NOT know about the
18 local system (nor should it), and thus might be bloated with unneeded
19 information. When I'm working at updating a system, I'm not interested in
20 knowing that winex-cvs has been removed at transgaming's request (old
21 news, as example). If however I was someone using winex-cvs, I'd be very
22 interested. See the point.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze