From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some ideas on how to reduce territoriality
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 11:19:27
1 On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 08:06:07 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > - HOMEPAGE changes
3 > - LICENSE changes
4 > - arch-specific patches/dependencies - If someone is requesting KEYWORD
5 > changes on a package and it requires a patch or additional dependencies
6 > for your architecture, you are not only permitted, but really are
7 > required to make the necessary changes to add support for your
8 > architecture.
9 > - Typo fixes
10 > - SRC_URI changes - If the source has moved, feel free to fix it. We
11 > shouldn't have to wait on the maintainer to fix something this simple.
12 > - *DEPEND changes due to changes in your packages - If a package that
13 > you maintain moves, splits, or otherwise changes in a manner that
14 > requires dependency changes on any other packages in the tree, you
15 > should make those changes yourself. You're free to ask for assistance,
16 > of course, but you have the power to make the changes yourself without
17 > asking permission. After all, you're the one "breaking" the package, so
18 > you should be the one to "fix" it.
19 > - Manifest/digest fixes
20 > - metadata.xml changes
21
22 <snip>
23
24 > So, what do you guys think?
25
26 From my maintaining perspective it is ok if language support teams come in and
27 fix binding issues with packages that are not specifically for that language
28 but somehow have bindings. Like emacs, bash-completion, perl, python, java,
29 etc. support in subversion. I don't really know some of these languages well,
30 let alone how to best support them in gentoo. I don't mind help from those
31 teams to get that stuff integrated and running well.
32
33 Paul
34 --
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list