From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Only you can prevent broken portage trees
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:16:22
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:50:58 +0100 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
3 > | Stephen Bennett napsal(a):
4 > | > On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:18:26 +0100
5 > | > Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
6 > | >
7 > | >> Sure I did... Could you tell me why should we accumulate broken and
8 > | >> vulnerable junk in the tree for years? (Outdated ebuild A depends
9 > | >> on junky outdated ebuild B which depends on crappy, unsupported
10 > | >> ebuilds C, D and E which... )
11 > | >
12 > | > To avoid breaking the dep tree for users. Quite simple really.
13 > |
14 > | Ah. That's apparently much more important than not breaking users by
15 > | providing them w/ non-vulnerable, decently uptodate stuff that's not
16 > | ridden by tons of bugs. Yup. :P
17 >
18 > So if it's "ridden by tons of bugs", why did it ever get marked stable?
21 Sometimes bugs are discovered after a stable marking, such as security
22 bugs. You of all people know how crappy some software developers are at
23 releasing bug-free software.
24 --
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list