From: Ed Catmur <ed@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A major change coming in the rox packages
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 18:15:15
1 On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 11:05 -0600, Jim Ramsay wrote:
2 > I am planning on moving the install locations of all the rox-base/* and
3 > rox-extra/* applications from their current location (/usr/lib/rox) to
4 > something a little more FHS-correct[1] and tolerant of multilib support.
5 >
6 > The main reason for this change is that I got a bug from amd64 because
7 > the /usr/lib path is hard-coded all over the place (ie, not multilib
8 > compliant), but it's always sort of bugged me that these packages are
9 > in /usr/lib - They're not actually libaries (except for rox-clib).
10 > These rox applications are a new special case that don't fit into the
11 > FHS, called "Application Directories"[2], and I need a good place to
12 > put them.
13 >
14 > Please note that every rox application creates a symlink in /usr/bin
15 > which runs the application regardless of where it exists in the
16 > filesystem, so from an end-user perspective this doesn't really
17 > matter. (Except a small bit of migration when I actually do move these
18 > packages, which will be the topic for another day).
19 >
20 > I'd like input from any interested parties on where the proper
21 > location may be. Here are some ideas with their justifications and
22 > problems, as I see them:
23 > ...
24
25 Have you considered /usr/lib/misc/rox?
26
27 Ed
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list