From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: useflag policies
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 12:22:54
1 On 13/08/15 18:17, Sergey Popov wrote:
2 > 11.08.2015 16:49, Michael Palimaka пишет:
3 >>> You think that REQUIRED_USE is abusive to users: fine. Point accepted.
4 >>> I think that provided DEPEND strings if they will be typed at every
5 >>> single qt-related ebuild that needs them are abusive to developers.
6 >>>
7 >>> So, maybe we should wrap them into eclass and stop riding our own
8 >>> bicycles...
9 >>>
10 >>> And then - use apropriate one-liner where it's needed, providing
11 >>> reasonable default and NOT confusing users with overmanaging their
12 >>> package.use
13 >>>
14 >>
15 >> Please read Ben's original post again. Dependency strings are not the topic.
19 > If introducing new USE-flags or ignoring using REQUIRED_USE leads to
20 > blowing the DEPEND variable, adding pain for the developers - it is the
21 > topic, definitely
24 Seriously, read the original post again. It's about handling of packages
25 that offer a choice between qt4 and qt5 and how to present that to the user.
26
27 It's not about the size of dependency strings, banning REQUIRED_USE,
28 project policy enforcement or anything else. If you wish to discuss
29 those topics please create a new thread and stop derailing this one.