From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 02:57:55
1 On 02/17/2016 01:47 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> This is something that I think many of us who had systems broken by
5 >> sys-fs/udev multiple times before sys-fs/eudev was an option thought was
6 >> obvious.
7 >
8 > About the only "system-breaking" change I'm aware of in udev over the
9 > years was the change in default network interface names. That was
10 > preceded by news on how to avoid the change, or how to adapt to the
11 > change.
12 >
13 > There certainly wasn't some change introduced without warning that
14 > just broke systems in random ways.
15 >
16 >> If a complete list of the breakages that lead to the creation of
17 >> sys-fs/eudev were produced, I imagine that the list would have at least
18 >> 3 to 5 items from the ~18 months before sys-fs/eudev with half of them
19 >> were probably self inflicted by sys-fs/udev maintenance.
20 >
21 > Anytime upstream changes something it is up to package maintainers to
22 > evaluate the change and adapt to it as needed, especially for critical
23 > packages like udev. For the most part I think this is happening.
24 > Whether it is the udev maintainers doing the QA or the eudev
25 > maintainers doing the QA, somebody has to do the QA (and in Gentoo it
26 > sounds like we do it twice, which is fine).
27 >
28 >> I recall one incident involving whether udev should be in /sbin or
29 >> /usr/sbin being resolved after 6 months of debate between then future
30 >> eudev founders and sys-fs/udev maintainers only because the systemd
31 >> developers told the sys-fs/udev maintainers it should be in /sbin like
32 >> others had told them.
33 >
34 > So, this sounds like a disagreement between the future eudev founders
35 > and the udev maintainers in Gentoo. It really has nothing to do with
36 > udev itself.
37
38 That is just one thing that I remembered off the top of my head and
39 quite frankly, that situation was the most absurd system breakage
40 incident that ever occurred involving udev. The arguments by the
41 sys-fs/udev maintainers at the time were that upstream wanted it that
42 way when even the systemd developers did not agree with them. The matter
43 was only resolved after one of the sys-fs/udev maintainers decided to
44 ask the systemd developers what they actually thought after 6 months of
45 claiming their way was the upstream way and were told that they thought
46 the packaging was wrong. Everyone else had believed the sys-fs/udev
47 maintainers' statements that upstream actually thought such things, and
48 consequently, were adamant that the systemd maintainers had no idea what
49 they were doing.
50
51 There were multiple breakages caused by sys-fs/udev maintainance
52 following systemd assimilating udev based on the principle that upstream
53 wanted it that way. The outsourcing of responsibility for thought on
54 such things were one of the things that contributed to eudev's creation.
55 Another were absolute refusal by Kay Sievers at the time to fix
56 regressions when given patches. It was not "rewrite the patch this way".
57 It was along the lines of "we are not fixing that because we don't care
58 about people affected by this and fixing that would add 40 lines to the
59 codebase".
60
61 > And that is OK - we're allowed to have the same package maintained
62 > under two different names by two sets of maintainers. Obviously it
63 > isn't ideal, and it would be better if everybody could agree.
64 >
65 >> Another broke support for older kernels for no apparent benefit (and
66 >> this sort of regression naturally enters sys-fs/udev):
67 >
68 > That isn't really the same as "breaking Gentoo." And as was pointed
69 > out they did accept patches to provide support back.
70
71 That is a new development.
72
73 > I think it is a bit unfair to characterize the udev maintainers as
74 > breaking things left and right. They apparently differ with you in
75 > how they prefer to set their defaults, and what their dependencies
76 > are. They apparently also accept patches when you provide them for
77 > older kernels, which is what upstreams are supposed to do.
78
79 There were multiple incidents where either the sys-fs/udev maintainers
80 or the systemd developers refused to listen to reason. Systems broke
81 because of it and there were no warnings.
82
83 > It really seems like the main reasons for eudev's existence right now
84 > are (based on this thread):
85 > 1. The eudev maintainers don't trust the udev maintainer's QA and
86 > want to do their own layer of QA before introducing changes to the
87 > tree.
88 > 2. The eudev maintainers prefer a different default network interface
89 > naming scheme (my understanding is that eudev can be configured to
90 > behave as udev does by default, and vice-versa - for example, on the
91 > box I'm typing this on my packets are going out over eth0 just fine on
92 > systemd).
93 > 3. The eudev tarballs are smaller lacking the systemd components, and
94 > the udev build system doesn't have to build the systemd components (I
95 > don't think the same is true of udev but I could be wrong).
96 >
97 > I'm not saying that eudev should go away, or that these concerns are
98 > completely inappropriate. If somebody wanted to fork their own kernel
99 > stable series and carefully curate patches they could choose to do so
100 > and package it in Gentoo, and give it different default configuration
101 > options, and so on.
102
103 That is a false equivalence because:
104
105 1. We have plenty of sys-kernel/*-sources packages, but Gentoo has no
106 true default because the user must pick a package.
107 2. Both mainline and the Gentoo kernel team do a decent job of not
108 breaking things and fix them promptely when things do break. There are
109 no drawn out arguments or debates about why things should be broken in
110 lieu of fixing things when them being broken has been recognized.