From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Introducing stable profiles for arm64 (aarch64)
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 05:27:15
1 Hello,
2
3 I am working towards having a clean deptree for arm64 and afterwards
4 marking the non-hardened 5 arm64 profiles stable (or 4 - I don't see
5 value in the developer profile without the desktop specific
6 subprofiles, until there are mix-ins).
7
8 This e-mail is meant to make sure there are no other pre-requisites for
9 just flipping the switch in profiles.desc from exp to stable, and to
10 express that intent and garner any hands-on help.
11
12 Also some eyes on the profiles (profiles/arch/arm64/*) would be useful,
13 especially from those who knows how all these CHOST/LIBDIR and other
14 things need to be, to make sure these are all right before the profiles
15 go stable.
18 Currently my plan is to solve all the deptree issues by mostly stable
19 use masks where needed (the stage building stable keywords haven't kept
20 the deptree in mind so far, just for what USE flags are enabled for
21 stage building), and keywording ~arm64 or use.mask/package.use.mask'ing
22 to fix the ~arm64 deptree too (depending on if I want it keyworded
23 immediately, or delay for future consideration and fix the deptree by
24 use masks till then).
25 I'm having the CI hamsters spin for this at
26 https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/3622
27
28 Yes, there is quite some work to do, but this e-mail is meant to get
29 any necessary formalities out of the way in parallel, so we can get the
30 switch flipped right after instead of discussing it then, and not
31 continue a chasing game due to repoman not telling to file a KEYWORDREQ
32 for us for new deps.
33
34 Note that there is no arm64 project as of yet, it's been worked on to
35 some capacity as part of arm project, which I believe to be a bit
36 confusing (albeit similar to ppc/ppc64), but also a bit daunting with
37 the arm4/5/6/7/vfp/neon/etc combination explosion stuff in arm32 land
38 (so I think it's good to have a clean break there with project
39 documentation pages, people involvement, etc). I haven't been able to
40 convince steev as of yet about this and haven't exercised any project
41 creation rights myself yet :D
44 Mart