From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: $Header:$ and ebuilds
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:05:00
1 Danny van Dyk wrote:
2 >> In practice I find it's rare that a user has been hacking around in
3 >> the eclasses. All the SHA1 tells you is that it's not the most
4 >> recent, but it's not easy to determine from the SHA1 exactly which
5 >> version they do have (so it's not enough to determine what's
6 >> different).
7 >>
8 >> Having said that, the most accurate way to find out what they have is
9 >> to get them to attach the eclass and diff it yourself. However
10 >> relying on the SHA1 also means you can't just say things like, "Check
11 >> eclass <blah> is version 1.836 (look at the "$Header" line at the top
12 >> of the file)."
13 >
14 > In the case of GIT you can just use 'git diff SHA1SUM' to see what has
15 > changed or 'git log SHA1SUM..HEAD' to show a list of revisions in
16 > between. So _if_ we changed to git, this would be no problem as long as
17 > every user has sha1sum installed [which is part of coreutils].
18 >
19 Well since that appears to be some way off, is there any way to get the
20 needed functionality (version string inside ebuild) without a double
21 commit? (Did i read that right?) I'm thinking at worst someone might have
22 to add something to repoman, or a hook on the server end.
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list