From: Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are blocks used for?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:11:23
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 | On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 07:54:48 +0200
6 | "Mateusz A. Mierzwin'ski" <mateuszmierzwinski@××.pl> wrote:
7 |> And I strongly suggest to leave old mechanism of portage, because we
8 |> saw couple times what _GREAT_ automatic makes with distro - eg.
9 |> Mandriva with all creators and cheap installer - couple apps not
10 |> running, low performance.
11 |>
12 |> Don't get me wrong - I also have that problems, and they make me
13 |> nervous, but when I think what could I done by automatic replace
14 |> package or binary then I get to thinking that everything is ok...
15 |
16 | I'm not suggesting automatic anything. Here's what I am suggesting.
17 |
18 | Case A, Current Behaviour: User tries to install superfoo. User has
19 | foobar installed. User is presented with a big red blocking message,
20 | with no explanation. User has to work out that he is expected to
21 | uninstall foobar, then install superfoo (which is a problem if superfoo
22 | fails).
23 |
24 | Case A, Suggested New Behaviour: User is instead presented with
25 | something like this:
26 |
27 | [block] app-misc/foobar is blocking app-misc/superfoo.
28 | Explanation: foobar and superfoo both provide /usr/bin/foo
29 | More information: http://www.gentoo.org/blah/blah.xml
30 | [install] app-misc/superfoo
31 | [uninstall] app-misc/foobar
32 |
33 | Error: the above resolution will uninstall 1 package. To accept
34 | this uninstall, use --permit-uninstalls.
35 |
36 | Case B is similar to Case A in resolution, but it's probably nice to
37 | make the distinction.
38 |
39 | Case C, Current Behaviour: User tries to upgrade foo. User is presented
40 | with a big red blocking message saying foo blocks libfoo or libfoo
41 | blocks foo, with no explanation (assuming it's not one of the subset of
42 | issues that can be solved automatically).
43 |
44 | Case C, Suggested New Behaviour: The package manager realises that so
45 | long as both foo and libfoo are upgraded during the same session,
46 | there's no real block, and the block is merely a way of getting around
47 | limitations in collision detection. No block is shown to the user.
48 |
49 | Case D, Current Behaviour: User tries to upgrade coreutils. User gets a
50 | big flashy block error saying coreutils blocks mktemp. User doesn't
51 | realise that the safe upgrade path is to force the package manager to
52 | ignore the block, then manually uninstall mktemp straight afterwards.
53 | User instead uninstalls mktemp, which is a moderately critical binary.
54 |
55 | Case D, Suggested New Behaviour: User is presented with something like
56 | this:
57 |
58 | [block] sys-apps/coreutils is blocking sys-apps/mktemp
59 | Explanation: mktemp is now part of coreutils
60 | More information: http://www.gentoo.org/blah/blah.xml
61 | [upgrade] sys-apps/coreutils
62 | [uninstall] sys-apps/mktemp
63 |