From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, freedesktop-bugs@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: virtual/dbus
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 16:29:35
1 On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 11:56 AM Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Dear everyone,
4 >
5 > I wonder if we should create a virtual package to allow our users - or
6 > at least those who run systemd anyway - to choose between sys-apps/dbus
7 > and sys-apps/dbus-broken as D-Bus implementation for their systems. The
8 > usual "Gentoo is about choice" thing aside, there is now at least one,
9 > security-related, problem with the former which can be worked around by
10 > switching to the latter: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/22737
11 >
12 > WDYT?
13
14 A virtual seems a bit pointless for the following reasons:
15
16 1. dbus and dbus-broker can be (and usually are) installed simultaneously.
17 2. dbus-broker[launcher] utilizes config files installed by dbus, and
18 actually RDEPENDs on sys-apps/dbus for that reason.
19 3. Many client applications depend on sys-apps/dbus for libdbus.
20
21 If you can think of some way to encourage users to install/enable
22 dbus-broker, that seems like a good idea to me.