From: John Helmert III <ajak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Switching default password hashes from sha512 to yescrypt
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 20:29:28
1 On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 03:59:59PM -0400, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 7/25/2022 15:30, Joshua Kinard wrote:
3 > [snip]
6 > > Some really quick looking around, I'm not finding any substantive
7 > > discussions on why yescrypt is better than argon2. It so far seems that it
8 > > just got implemented in libxcrypt sooner than argon2 did, so that's why
9 > > there is this sudden push for it.
10 > >
11 > > E.g., on Issue #45 in linux-pam[3], user ldv-alt just states "I'd recommend
12 > > yescrypt instead. Anyway, it has to be implemented in libcrypt.", but
13 > > provides no justification for why they recommend yescrypt. Since we're
14 > > dealing with a fairly important function for system security, I kinda want
15 > > something with much more context that presents pros and cons for this
16 > > algorithm over others, especially argon2.
17 >
18 > So there is this question and three answers on Crypto StackExchange. It is
19 > about five years-old, but it's got more detail on why argon2 won the PHC
20 > instead of one of the other contenders. It is still subjective information,
21 > but more thorough:
22 > https://crypto.stackexchange.com/questions/48933/why-did-argon2-win-the-phc
23 >
24 > There's some more info if one continues to deep-dive on CSE, but I am
25 > noticing a lot of the info is several years old. Some more recent things
26 > make references to a newer algo called Balloon, but that seems to be going
27 > off into side-tangents.
28 >
29 > Anyways, I guess I am just being paranoid. If a change to hashing algos is
30 > made, it should be based on facts and not popularity contests or feelings.
31
32 I'm not sure it's fair to suggest this change is based on "popularity
33 contests or feelings". The facts were given in the original mail, just
34 because one finds them unconvincing doesn't mean those facts aren't
35 real and convincing to others.
36
37 > --
38 > Joshua Kinard
39 > Gentoo/MIPS
40 > kumba@g.o
41 > rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
42 > 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
43 >
44 > "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
45 > our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
46 >
47 > --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic