From: "Robert R. Russell" <nahoy_kbiki@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Last Rites: app-portage/udept
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 08:14:36
1 On Monday 15 December 2008 05:47:47 pm Duncan wrote:
2 > Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o> posted
3 > 1229371818.21630.7.camel@××××××××××××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on
4 >
5 > Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:10:17 -0600:
6 > > # Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o> (14 Dec 2008) # Dead upstream,
7 > > masked for removal in ~30 to 60 days. app-portage/udept
8 > >
9 > > Additionally, it doesn't play well with EAPI's greater than zero.
10 > >
11 > > The removal bug is Bug #250839. If upstream comes back alive or someone
12 > > forks and actively maintains, I will unmask or re-add to the tree.
13 >
14 > Ouch! This one hurts!
15 >
16 > The main thing I use it for, and therefore the question I have about any
17 > useful substitute, is quickly getting a changelog when portage won't spit
18 > one out. In particular, when there's a USE flag change in an existing
19 > package, or a downgrade, emerge --log won't output anything, because it's
20 > not an upgrade. However, I find the info in such logs often useful!
21 >
22 > Of course I can check the package category and type in the whole long
23 > path to the changelog and edit/head/view it by hand, but a quick dep -j
24 > <pkg> is a lot faster and very useful!
25 >
26 > While I'm at it, is there anything useful to display metadata.xml? In
27 > particular, the long descriptions and use flags can be useful. With
28 > use.desc and especially the local version thereof going deprecated, and
29 > with additional info about global flags sometimes in the metadata...
30
31 Does anyone have a substitute for udept's clean word file and
32 clean /etc/portage options?