From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Package up for grabs: skencil
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 03:14:32
1 Alec Warner posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 19:06:11 -0700 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 9:00 AM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Friday, September 16, 2016 09:54:42 PM Duncan wrote:
6 >> > Kristian Fiskerstrand posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 14:58:22 +0200 as
7 >> >
8 >> > excerpted:
9 >> > > On 09/16/2016 02:31 PM, Hanno Böck wrote:
10 >> > >> media-gfx/skencil is a python-written vector graphics tool. It was
11 >> once
12 >> > >> popular before inkscape became the de-facto-standard. It hasn't
13 >> > >> seen any upstream activity for a decade(!), but surprisingly it
14 >> > >> still seems to work.
15 >> > >>
16 >> > >> I haven't used it for many years myself.
17 >> > >>
18 >> > >> There are 4 open bugs in bugzilla.
19 >> > >>
20 >> > >> Anyone interested in taking it? (else the usual: will be
21 >> > >> reassigned to maintainer-needed)
22 >> > >
23 >> > > Also sounds like a candidate for treecleaning / moving to an
24 >> > > overlay
25 >> and
26 >> > > not keeping non-upstream maintained things in tree if nobody want
27 >> > > to take the maintainer burden of it.
28 >> >
29 >> > Why treeclean it, if it still works and can still be built against
30 >> > in- tree python?
31 >> >
32 >> > Sometimes mature packages don't get further maintenance because they
33 >> > "just work" as they are, and don't _need_ to eventually be bloated to
34 >> > include email and browsing functionality or whatever.
35 >> >
36 >> > Of course if it requires old python and eventually the last supported
37 >> > in-
38 >> > tree python is being removed, and nobody steps up to update it then,
39 >> > /then/ it should be removed from the tree as it'll be broken /then/,
40 >> > but that's not the case now, as Hanno explicitly said it still seems
41 >> > to work.
42 >>
43 >> It needs a maintainer. Are you offering?
44 >>
45 >> Packages without maintainers anywhere along the line (either local or
46 >> upstream) risk having security vulnerabilities go unfixed (or even
47 >> unacknowledged) simply from having nobody who actually cares about the
48 >> package. Very little "just works", even if it appears to, after a
49 >> decade or two of little to no modifications or maintenance, if only
50 >> because hidden assumptions the software makes about its environment
51 >> cease to hold true.
54 > The current policy is to not remove stuff unless it is actually broken.
55
56 Yes. Switch it to maintainer-needed and put an ewarn to that effect if
57 desired, but if it still works and isn't bothering anyone, policy /has/
58 been to leave it in the tree.
59
60 This is what I was getting at. Why is it being removed, against policy,
61 if it still works? (Or did the policy change at some point and I just
62 missed it, but apparently not, given Rich0's and Antarus' replies.)
63
64 I don't use the package myself and have no personal interest in it. I
65 simply wondered what was going on with removal of an apparently working
66 package that doesn't seem to be causing anyone problems, in contravention
67 of what I understood to be gentoo tree-cleaning policy, thus the question.
68
69 Plus, /someone/ might use it, and (unless it's proprietary, I don't/can't-
70 legally use those as I can't agree to the EULAs, etc) for all I know
71 something might change and I might find myself being that /someone/ that
72 would have used it, had I spoke up back when an unbroken package was
73 being removed for no good reason, except I didn't and it was removed, and
74 thus I never knew I /could/ have used it as it was gone by the time I
75 found I needed something with that functionality.
78 Meanwhile, if there's a security issue, there's a security project to
79 take care of that, regardless of whether there's a maintainer or not.
80 And if there's no maintainer and there's a security issue, then the
81 package _is_ broken and can be masked and tree-cleaned then.
86 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman