From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] GLEP 74: Full-tree verification using Manifest files
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 13:46:51
1 >>>>> On Sat, 28 Oct 2017, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > W dniu sob, 28.10.2017 o godzinie 14∶49 +0200, użytkownik Ulrich Mueller
4 > napisał:
5 >> Other tools like "find" don't special-case dot-prefixed files
6 >> though (in fact, "ls" may well be the exception there).
7 >>
8 >> Implicit ignores only create an unnecessary attack surface. Better
9 >> make them explicit, even if this will require adding some entries
10 >> for common cases (like .git in the top-level dir).
11
12 > I dare say it's not an attack surface if tools are explicitly
13 > directed not to use those files.
14
15 For example, an ebuild can apply all patches from a given directory.
16 We certainly don't want any unaccounted dot-prefixed files being
17 injected there. (And yes, globbing shouldn't normally match such
18 files, but there's at least one eclass setting the dotglob option.)
19
20 > The problem is, you can't predict all possible dotfiles and even if
21 > you do, you're effectively blocking the user from creating any files
22 > for his own use.
23
24 Create files for their own use in random locations in the Gentoo
25 repository? Why would anyone want to do that?
26
27 > Say, if user wanted to use git on top of rsync for his own purposes,
28 > why would you prevent him from doing that?
29
30 As I said before, top-level .git should have an explicit IGNORE entry.
31
32 IMHO we should rather stay on the safe side there, unless someone will
33 speak up who has a concrete workflow where such dot-prefixed files
34 with unpredictable names are needed.
35
36 Ulrich