From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2010 11:10:21
1 On Friday 05 of March 2010 11:22:18 Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
2
3 > I *am* a stable user, and I do want to install python3 (without having
4 > to override keywords -- because my packager, the gentoo python team,
5 > says it works!). I recognize the cruft problem, but I don't think
6 > keeping things in unstable
7 ^^^^^^^^
8 It's "testing" :)
9
10 Now on more serious note, ideally python could be treated just like any other
11 non-leaf package (in dependency tree), just like library. In such case it's
12 completely reasonable to stabilize the newest version of such 'library',
13 especially when it's slotted and doesn't conflict in any way with the rest.
14 However, because of being used by package manager, python is leaf application
15 really and it's going to be immediately pulled for everyone.
16
17 It would be nice if portage didn't automatically pull newest available
18 packages with new SLOTs unless explicitly referenced in dependencies. That
19 would have certainly caused python 3 stabilization to be a non issue.
20 (@Zac is this "greedy/non-greedy' behaviour you've talking some time ago?)
21
22 Hmm, but that would also prevent automatic KDE 4.x -> 4.y updates..
25 regards
26 MM