From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [soc] Python bindings for Paludis
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 19:15:14
1 Mike Auty <ikelos@g.o> posted 460FAFF4.4060901@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 01 Apr 2007 14:13:24 +0100:
3
4 > From what I've read of the PMS, it currently only describes the input
5 > format it would accept (namely the format for ebuild files and their
6 > contents). This question can be delayed until the PMS defines the
7 > operation of the package manager, including but not limited to the
8 > recording of installed package data. If the package managers do not
9 > agree on which packages are installed or how to uninstall them, then
10 > they are not yet interchangeable.
11 >
12 > I apologize if this point has already been raised elsewhere in the
13 > thread. I try not to get involved in threads like this, but
14 > accidentally read a reply and thought this might be a valuable response.
15
16 Thanks. It is valuable (and hasn't been already raised to my
17 observation).
18
19 As I understand it, they wouldn't necessarily be dynamically
20 interchangeable, that is, on a live system (at least not without running
21 some sort of conversion utility, which may or may not exist and may or
22 may not "lose" some information in the conversion, defaulting the missing
23 values). Rather, one could choose one and run with it, and only change
24 with some work and/or loss of data.
25
26 Practically speaking, at minimum, it is assumed the world file would
27 normally either remain the same format or be convertible (automatically
28 or by hand), and the USE flags would be convertible, so if install data
29 were lost in the switch, one could at worst rebuild empty-tree world (in
30 whatever PM lingo) to get the database in the new format if necessary.
31 Thus, it's not something one would wish to switch back and forth willy
32 nilly, but switching would be possible, with a bit of work.
33
34 Of course, that assumes a package manager that even has the concept of
35 the world file, I'd guess a /relatively/ safe assumption (and some form
36 of USE flag handling is required by the spec). For those that didn't,
37 well, a rather more painstaking individual package rebuild may be
38 necessary to do the conversion. However, one might suppose those would
39 be corner cases, and if someone wanted to go to the trouble, well...
40
41 The point being, however, that all this quarreling about "official"
42 package managers doesn't /really/ have to happen. Arguing Ciaran's
43 viewpoint for a moment, if portage really is /that/ bad and "future
44 challenged", if official restrictions /do/ end up eliminating all other
45 competition for official manager, well, it's entirely possible there'll
46 be an official manager, and then there'll be the one (or more) everyone
47 actually uses, again making arguing over an "official" PM "much ado about
48 nothing". That's one extreme. At the other, the alternatives just never
49 go mainstream, regardless of whether they are "officially blessed".
50 Again, much ado about nothing. In the middle, multiple managers prove
51 functional and are chosen by a reasonable segment of Gentoo users,
52 regardless of "official blessing" or not, and again, it matters little
53 what the official status is. I just don't see why so many are spending
54 so much time arguing over it, when regardless, people are going to make
55 their choices, and "official" status won't matter so much when people do
56 so, because the package spec and what works is going to be the defining
57 factor, not some "official" blessing, except indirectly as that affects
58 further package spec updates.
59
60 If that makes any sense and isn't entirely circular... it does (and
61 isn't) to me, anyway. Certainly more so than what to me is pretty much
62 bickering over nothing. =8^)
67 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
70 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list