From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: zmedico@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: adding a modification timestamp to the installed pkgs database (vdb)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 05:12:05
1 On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 11:32:30AM -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > The proposal is pretty simple; if code modifies the vdb in any
4 > > fashion, it needs to update the mtime on a file named
5 > > '.modification_time' in the root of the vdb.
6 >
7 > I'd to prefer using the mtime of the /var/db/pkg directory itself,
8 > since existence of a '.modification_time' file isn't going to prove
9 > that an programs that don't recognize that file haven't made any
10 > modifications.
11
12 Grumble. Works for me.
15 > We can also use the mtimes of category subdirectories, in order to
16 > indicate whether a modification has occurred in any given category.
17
18 Pkgcore already relies on that for old style virtuals cache. The
19 pisser there is that modifications w/in a node don't result in a
20 category level mtime- it certainly would be nice to have it formalized
21 in some fashion so that cache regeneration could just work on the
22 areas it needs to.
23
24 ~brian