From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] base-system needs developers who care
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 00:03:29
1 On Tue, 23 Aug 2016 23:17:58 +0000 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2
3 >Over the years, the base-system package herd has grown in size. Today
4 >it comprises 320 packages, of which 61 of those have more than one
5 >maintainer. The packages with more than one maintainer I'm only
6 >concerned about if the other maintainer is also very busy or not
7 >available.
8 >
9 >Some of these packages are very niche, and while they continue to work,
10 >they could use a bit more attention than they get presently (you might
11 >only hear about them when they break and never when they work).
12 >
13 >They are generally NOT broken and in need of tree-cleaning, but are
14 >just lacking forward momentum (not a few bugs are reasonable upstream
15 >bugs or feature improvements). Many were once shiny and had lots of
16 >people that cared, but that dwindled as they become mundane and just
17 >expected to work.
18 >
19 >General increase in the number of developers in base-system would not
20 >be a bad outcome from this email either ;-).
21 >
22 >Some of this is from stuff I know needs eyeballs, and others are where
23 >the package seems to have more than a few old bugs open.
24 >
25 >Packages in need of review & tweaks or just more eyeballs
26 >----------------------------------------------------------
27 >app-admin/sudo (upstream?)
28 >app-admin/sysklogd- (upstream?)
29 >app-shells/bash (upstream?)
30 >dev-util/strace (upstream?)
31 >net-dialup/ppp
32 >net-firewall/iptables
33 >net-fs/nfs-utils (upstream?)
34 >net-misc/dhcpcd (upstream?)
35 >net-misc/dhcp (upstream?)
36 >net-misc/ntp (upstream?)
37 >net-misc/openssh
38 >net-nds/rpcbind
39 >sys-apps/baselayout
40 >sys-apps/coreutils (upstream?)
41 >sys-apps/kbd (upstream?)
42 >sys-block/aoetools
43 >sys-block/iscsitarget
44 >sys-block/open-iscsi
45 >sys-block/thin-provisioning-tools
46 >sys-block/vblade
47 >sys-fs/lvm2 (mostly in regards to genkernel interaction)
48 >sys-fs/multipath-tools
49 >sys-fs/quota
52 I have some kind of interest for these packages:
53
54 app-admin/sudo
55 app-admin/sysklogd
56 app-shells/bash
57 net-dialup/ppp
58 net-firewall/iptables
59 net-misc/dhcpcd
60 net-misc/dhcp
61 net-misc/ntp
62 net-misc/openssh
63 sys-apps/coreutils
64 sys-apps/kbd
65
66 But I think I cannot maintain all of them alone. So yeah, fresh
67 (active!) blood in base-system would be nice.
68
69 Kind regards
70 Lars
73 Lars Wendler
74 Gentoo package maintainer
75 GPG: 21CC CF02 4586 0A07 ED93 9F68 498F E765 960E 9B39
76
77 Attention! New gpg key! See
78 https://www.gentoofan.org/blog/index.php?/archives/9-New-gpg-keys.html