From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: changing the developer profile: FEATURES="test" -> FEATURES="test-fail-continue"
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:50:54
1 On 6/4/10 5:35 PM, Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek) wrote:
2 > I've been thinking about this for a while. Some packages have tests
3 > that are meant only for upstream in certain conditions
4 > and are not meant to be ran during installing.
5
6 I think that in extreme cases src_test should not call such tests.
7
8 > As we have ARCH teams,
9 > couldn't we think a way in which TEST teams can
10 > be created? I mean, a bunch of devs only focused on making tests work
11 > or just restrict them?
12
13 I don't think that would be effective. Making the tests work is hard,
14 especially for packages like gcc, or python. Having FEATURES="test" is
15 intended to make developers catch these failures before checking in.
16
17 However, with many packages failing tests, people started running
18 FEATURES="-test" or just stopped (or never used) the developer profile.
19 With FEATURES="test test-fail-continue" we should get best of both
20 worlds: run tests always, but don't frustrate people by making build
21 fail "in the middle of long emerge".
22
23 Paweł