From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: proj/portage:master commit in: pym/portage/dbapi/
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:01:13
1 On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 10:25:15 -0500
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > But in this particular case, I don't think COW is particularly
7 > > useful. If it works only on filesystem bounds, we could move the
8 > > file directly anyway.
9 >
10 > Yup - I would only use it if you really are doing a copy and not a
11 > move (neglecting the fact that the implementation of a
12 > cross-filesystem move does a copy first). I imagine many ebuilds do
13 > copy operations internally, but probably not to an extent where it
14 > would make much difference. I'm not sure how doins/dobin/etc are
15 > implemented - I think they're copies and so allowing for the fact that
16 > not everybody uses a tmpfs it might make sense to fix those.
17
18 AFAICS doins uses 'install' mostly, and sometimes 'cp' (with symlinks).
19 I don't see any variant of '--reflink' option for 'install'.
22 Best regards,
23 Michał Górny