From: "Tony \\\"Chainsaw\\\" Vroon" <chainsaw@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] busybox[sep-usr] support for mounting /usr w/out hassle
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:06:33
1 On 30/04/12 05:31, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > Correction here; as far as I know the council did not mandate
3 > separate /usr without initramfs. They just said that separate /usr
4 > is a supported configuration.
5
6 Separate /usr is a supported configuration, which blocks the armwaving
7 about "oh just use an initramfs then" as a solution. As apparently
8 lessons about filesystem layout have been unlearned:
9 Binaries that are essential for system boot, and must be available in
10 single user mode go in /bin and /sbin, with their libraries in /lib.
11 This allows for /usr to be:
12 1) marked read-only for NFS mounts, which some of us rely on
13 2) inside of an LVM2 container, allowing for / to be (very) small
14 3) on a squashfs filesystem, in order to save space
15
16 My deployment relies on option 2, other sysadmins rely on option 1.
17 Some of our users are very happy with option 3.
18
19 Trying to second-guess my motivation, and trying to undo unanimous
20 council votes simply because your opinion is different, really has to
21 stop.
22
23 I feel a lot better about vapier's pragmatic approach then I do about
24 udev/systemd upstream's ability and motivation to support current
25 systems. If you had any doubts about whether udev was part of the
26 problem, consider what tarball you will have to extract it from in future.
27
28 Regards,
29 --
30 Tony Vroon
31 Server systems manager
32 London Internet Exchange Ltd, Trinity Court, Trinity Street,
33 Peterborough, PE1 1DA
34 Registered in England number 3137929
35 E-Mail: tony@××××.net