From: Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>
To: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [PR] ivy, mvn, sbt, gradle builders improvement for ebuild development
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 18:58:58
1 On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 14:07:01 -0400
2 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 4/20/20 1:31 PM, Patrick McLean wrote:
5 > >> Simply having things in ::gentoo does not affect anyone who does not
6 > use them.
9 > You keep saying that, but the fact that dev-go/* is filled with trash
10 > that has your name on it prevents anyone else from doing a better job.
11 >
12 Ad-hominen attacks are unwarranted, please refrain from them. I challenge you to find *anything* in dev-go/* with my name on it.
13
14 Are you volunteering to do the work to package go packages? The people doing the work generally get to decide how that work gets done, and which approach they would like to take. The upstream situation makes it very labour-intensive to do the work in a the way you are proposing (many packages would end up with hundreds to thousands of packages in the tree). Separating everything out in to separate packages will just increase the maintenance load exponentially, with no gains as go upstreams version lock all their dependencies.