From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Review: news item and script for CPU_FLAGS_X86
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 22:56:58
1 On 01/23/2015 05:38 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >
3 > 3. Put it in an ebuild, after all. This will add a lot of complexity
4 > but GPG comes for free, plus some people will actually test
5 > and stabilize it.
8 I do. It seems like a lot of work, but we can test and quick-stable it.
9 Thank you.
12 >> If what you really want them to do is prepend PORTDIR="..." before the
13 >> wget command, then why give them the wget command without it? Or if the
14 >> environment variable needs to be set and then exported, why not just say
15 >> that? The news items go out to tens of thousands of people so the more
16 >> explicit the instructions are, the better. Because then people won't bug
17 >> you about all the ways in which they misinterpreted the instructions.
18 >
19 > People usually won't need to do that. Unless they do something stupid
20 > like switching to a Python interpreter they disabled in the eclass...
23 It's not my fault this time. Remember when python-3.4 went stable for a
24 minute and this news item went out?
25
26 Python 3.4 is now enabled by default, replacing Python 3.3 as the
27 default Python 3 interpreter.
28 ...
29 Once the changes have taken place, a world update should take care of
30 reinstalling any python libraries you have installed. You should also
31 switch your default python3 interpreter using eselect python.
32
33 For example:
34
35 eselect python set --python3 python3.4
38 A few hours later, PYTHON_TARGETS was reverted, and no news item went
39 out telling me to undo the eselect.