From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Slotted Lua: 2020-12-04 status update
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2020 12:16:42
1 Dear everyone,
2
3 Since a week ago the number of open bugs blocking the slotted-Lua tracker has been reduced from 119 to under 80. A few of these have been either made no longer dependent on dev-lang/lua, last-rited, or moved to a separate tracker (it is linked to the old one under See Also) owing to the fact they or their Lua support had been masked to begin with - but I am happy to say that most of them have indeed been migrated to Lua eclasses. This includes most (if not all) multi-impl packages. Many thanks to everyone who has helped with this effort, with particular to ConiKost for his *massive* offensive against multi-impl packages populating the category dev-lua.
4
5 At this point I would like to strongly encourage everyone who has got any open "please migrate to Lua eclasses" tickets assigned to make an effort to address them within the next couple of weeks. These should (almost?) all be single-impl by now and therefore quite straightforward to migrate, and should you need inspiration we have by now got a lot successful migrations to lua-single in three tree covering a wide range of build systems. Last but not least, you can always ask for advice via IRC in #gentoo-lua.
6
7 On a related note, please make sure that any and all unmigrated ebuilds of your packages depending on dev-lang/lua explicitly request slot 0 of that package. This will help spare our users some nasty conflicts once slotted Lua has been unmasked.
8
9 At this point I strongly feel the end of migration to slotted Lua is very much in sight. Let's do this!
12 Marecki