From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: security@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: About changing security policy to unCC maintainers when their are not needed
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 11:34:25
1 On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Alex Legler <a3li@g.o> wrote:
2 > A general note: The request makes one wonder a bit how much you actually
3 > care about your package if a few emails disturb you. Arches, Security,
4 > and users reporting issues are trying to help you get the package into a
5 > good shape.
6
7 I suspect that this concern arose in part due to a series of around
8 two dozen bug comment emails that were sent to the chromium@ alias in
9 the span of a day relating to security problems for versions as old as
10 chromium-7. I doubt anybody anywhere still cares about security
11 problems with chromium 7 - just about every major chromium release
12 contains security fixes, so if you aren't on the latest major version
13 you're guaranteed to be vulnerable. A good tip is that if you haven't
14 worked out your CPUs in the last two weeks on a chromium build, you're
15 out of date.
16
17 I suspect this is a bit of a one-off as the security team continues to
18 catch up from a past hiatus (stabilizations were getting done, but
19 GLSAs were never issued). I remember there being a wave of ancient
20 GLSAs a few months ago, but perhaps the entire queue wasn't flushed
21 out. Aliases that pertain to a large number of security-affected
22 packages were probably disproportionately impacted.
23
24 So, if this is a one-off then perhaps we shouldn't use it as the basis
25 for policy changes. That said, I think your proposal to allow
26 maintainers to un-CC themselves after the tree is cleaned up makes
27 sense.
28
29 Rich