From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The bindist USE flag and RESTRICT=bindist
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 01:06:59
1 On Tue, Mar 03, 2015 at 10:12:07PM +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > So a few days ago I filed bug 541408 and dependent bugs, with the goal
3 > that ebuilds with the bindist flag in their IUSE should also add
4 > RESTRICT="!bindist? ( bindist )". However, it turned out that some 10
5 > packages are using the bindist flag only in REQUIRED_USE but nowhere
6 > else [2] (with foo being some feature flag):
7 >
8 > IUSE="bindist foo"
9 > REQUIRED_USE="bindist? ( !foo )"
10 >
11 > IMHO, the bindist USE flag is redundant in these cases. So we should
12 > get rid of the REQUIRED_USE and add a restriction instead:
13 >
14 > IUSE="foo"
15 > RESTRICT="foo? ( bindist )"
16 This covers the case where it's not used anywhere else.
17
18 1. What about the cases where it IS used somewhere else?
19 2. If you do USE='bindist foo', does portage still give a nice warning
20 that they are mutually incompatible (I thought this is what the
21 REQUIRED_USE was added for).
22
23 I'm wondering if we should just be really explicit and do:
24 IUSE="bindist foo"
25 REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( bindist foo )"
26 RESTRICT="foo? ( bindist )"
30 Robin Hugh Johnson
31 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead
32 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
33 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85