From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Xmms needs to die.
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 07:04:35
1 Josh Saddler wrote:
2
3 > Please don't remove it, and don't replace it with xmms2. There are far too many
4 > media type plugins that work for xmms that audacious and similar players can't
5 > handle. Also, will xmms plugins even work in xmms2? And isn't xmms2 still a
6 > command line-only application? Not what users need or want. Perhaps the most
7 > compelling reason to keep xmms around and *not* use xmms2 is the one you just made:
8
9 > Can you provide a list of open fairly important bugs for xmms that provide good
10 > examples of why you don't want to maintain it? Just so we can see your reasoning.
11
12 So go maintain it - a quick list of bugs awaiting your love:
13
14 http://tinyurl.com/fbekn
15
16 Even if you do, I'd still love this to go away from the main tree to
17 some overlay.
18
19 > You may think xmms is obsolete, but it has a pretty decent niche among the
20 > available player choices;
21
22 It's broken like hell (see above) and it's a huge PITA to maintain a
23 thing that's completely dead upstream.
26 Best regards,
27
28 Jakub Moc
29 mailto:jakub@g.o
30 GPG signature:
31 http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
32 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
33
34 ... still no signature ;)