From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Policy for conflicting USE flags
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 12:05:56
1 >>>>> On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Ryan Hill wrote:
2
3 >> If we really implemented it in this way, then I fear that it would
4 >> be difficult for users to find out what flag combinations they can
5 >> use.
6
7 > The guideline I usually follow is that flags depending on another
8 > flag being set (eg. png needs X) should be ignored (you can always
9 > ewarn). For flags that conflict with other flags (exactly one of
10 > many, if-this-not-this) use REQUIRED_USE. Does that make sense?
11
12 Yes, in my opinion it does. Should the devmanual be updated
13 accordingly? (There is already bug 353624 open for it.)
14
15 Maybe we also need a guideline that whenever possible, ebuilds should
16 accept the default USE flags from our profiles as a valid combination?
17 Or, in the exceptional case when that isn't possible, a package.use
18 entry should be added to profiles.
19
20 > If we went with your second extreme, if I wanted to disable X for
21 > emacs, I'd also have to add 10 additional flags to package.use on my
22 > system to get it to work. If we were doing that for every package
23 > I'd switch distros.
24
25 That's what I thought too. ;-)
26
27 In other words: If an ebuild has n USE flags and the package can be
28 configured in m different ways, then it is _not_ the goal to allow
29 only m of the 2**n possible flag combinations.
30
31 Ulrich