From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: escape sequences in logs
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 04:17:49
1 On 09/02/2013 03:21 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > I'm starting a new thread on this, because I think it might warrant some
5 > discussion.
6 >
7 > I can see why someone might want to use escape codes for color displays,
8 > etc. However, imo, escape codes do not belong in log files.
9 >
10 > mgorny says many people benefit from having escape codes in log
11 > files, but I see no benefit from it, and I don't like going through
12 > build.log because of them. If you load a build.log into an editor, the
13 > escape sequences are basically trash characters that get in the way.
14
15 I find looking at logs with escape characters to be more pleasant than
16 looking at them without escape characters. I admit that it is annoying
17 to view them in a web browser where the escape characters are not
18 parsed, but that is easily resolved at the terminal.
19
20 Just my two cents.