From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: lanthruster@×××××.com
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage QOS
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 15:40:20
1 On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 16:52:12 +0400
2 Igor <lanthruster@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > You're living right not in competition.If you're on an island
5 > you compete with animals for food and water. If you're in a condo -
6 > hell, you know how many on this planet WISH to live in your house
7 > right now and what stops them from doing that?
8 >
9 > And you belive that you're outside competition. It looks unreal.
10 > Gentoo is in competition with other distros - it's real and happens
11 > right now.
12
13 That's the marketing view on it; but now take a look from the customer
14 view, why am I and you on Gentoo or one of its derivatives and not
15 on some other distribution out there. Exactly, Gentoo provides some
16 things that are hard to find in other distributions; patching the
17 source, having more choice, remove features you don't need, etc...
18
19 Customers are looking for that; my thought exactly when I was looking
20 for Gentoo was "I want to be able to easily manipulate what I use",
21 Gentoo's ability to just patch the source code is great for that.
22
23 I'd be scared of going to a binary distro, the distros where you are
24 source based are quite limited; if I'd quit Gentoo, I'm for sure I'll
25 either be on a Gentoo-derived distribution or build something similar.
26
27 The former makes me still be on Gentoo, or at least its idea; the
28 latter might be quite an effort that'll take quite some time too get
29 going, but I'll know for sure if that ever jumped my mind that I would
30 miss the Portage tree and so on.
31
32 So, other non-derived distros don't really look like competitors to me;
33 they might satisfy a set of our customers, but then you can just as
34 well realize that those customers have no real need for Gentoo and were
35 bound to leave sooner or later anyway.
36
37 As for derived distros; forking is great, right?
38
39 We are no longer using the old solid wheels that break or the old cars
40 that fail to continue to drive after a bit of usage; no, we are using
41 well designed, well implemented, well tested wheels and cars that
42 continue to drive for months to years.
43
44 And as an example, we also have ideas like those small cars which only
45 fit one person; who knows, that idea never catches on in public. But at
46 least we've satisfied the needs of a few people out there; not everyone
47 wants to have such a car, just a few persons that are in need for it.
48
49 > Are you absolutely sure that in the condition when nobody knows how
50 > Portage works we may go that far as saying we have a healthy Penguin?
51
52 Reverse engineering a car will not say anything about its health;
53 fixing its bugs, testing it and supporting it however will.
54
55 Otherwise we could claim solid wheels and old cars to still be healthy.
58 With kind regards,
59
60 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
61 Gentoo Developer
62
63 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
64 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
65 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D