From: Gabriel <egabriel@××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Erasing existing system
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:33:07
1 Currently, one can download the iso, or if one has two partitions, boot into
2 one and mount the other and untar sys.tbz2. This is great.
3
4 However, if I want to replace a fully-partitioned system which is already
5 running Linux with the tarball, I can't. Well, I could, but there would be
6 cruft from the old install.
7
8 What would be neat is a script that could be run, and it would create a small
9 temporary bin dir with enough utilities within to cp sys.tbz2 into itself,
10 then rm -rf what you have and pour sys.tbz2 into it. Then remove itself.
11
12 Yes, if something goes wrong you are in a world of hurt, but it would be nice
13 to have as an option. It's a feature I won't care about when rc4 comes out,
14 but since I have scsi drives on one system and a k6 on the other, I haven't
15 been able to install Gentoo yet. I think this could be useful for other
16 situations where it would be a nasty job to hack the .iso to include whatever
17 you need to get Gentoo running on your unique and problematic system, but
18 just adding something to the tarball would be a breeze.
19
20 Well, just a suggestion.
21
22 --Gabriel