From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Split ebuilds for GCC
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 15:25:33
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Ciaran McCreesh posted <20060104084418.37ff6b02@××××××××.home>, excerpted
3 > below, on Wed, 04 Jan 2006 08:44:18 +0000:
6 >>On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 09:32:44 +0100 Dirk Heinrichs
7 >><ext-dirk.heinrichs@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>| Am Mittwoch, 4. Januar 2006 09:16 schrieb ext Ciaran McCreesh:
9 >>| > <ext-dirk.heinrichs@×××××.com> wrote:
10 >>| > | So my question is: Would it be a good idea to generally turn GCC
11 >>| > | into split ebuilds (like KDE/X.org)? Pros/Cons?
12 >>| >
13 >>| > Sure, that'd be nice. It's also impossible, but don't let that stop
14 >>| > you from trying.
15 >>|
16 >>| Could you explain why it is impossible?
17 >>
18 >>GCC does not have a nice clean build system, nor does it have a nice
19 >>clean modular setup that allows you to pick and choose language
20 >>frontends (or arch backends) at anything other than compile time. It's
21 >>just not designed to let you provide gcc-frontend-c, gcc-frontend-c++,
22 >>gcc-backend-x86-linux etc packages.
25 > That begs the question... how is it then possible for gcj/java, gnat/ada
26 > and the like? Are some languages treated differently upstream? (Curious
27 > users want to know! <g>)
30 It is not possible for gcj/java. The best thing you can do is to make on
31 ebuild for gcj that just disables as much as it can in the gcc build
32 process. This does not avoid duplication but helps somewhat. Work on
33 this has already been done by one of our users. If you are interested in
34 this take a look at:
35
36 http://research.operationaldynamics.com/linux/gentoo/dev-java/gcj-jdk/
37
38 I have talked with the upstream gcj maintainer in the past and they are
39 planning to separate gcj in such a way from the core that they would be
40 able to make separate releases. He just said that the binary interface
41 between the two is just not stable enough yet.
42
43 Regards,
44 Petteri