From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 22: New "keyword" system to incorporate various userlands/kernels/archs
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 07:55:11
1 relavent conversation between grant and I for public consumption.....
4 [16:24] <g2boojum> The best solution I had come up with so far was to
5 add ARCH, USERLAND, KERNEL, and LIBC environment variables that would
6 exist in concert with KEYWORDS. Of course, that approach would mean
7 listing each individually. On the other hand, having reasonable
8 defaults for the various variables might make that simpler.
9 [16:26] <g2boojum> I really need to think about this problem more
10 systematically, but I haven't worked up the gumption to do so just yet.
11
12 [16:27] <Method> but what about combinations.. ie: something works with
13 linux, ppc x86, glibc; obsd, x86, obsd-libc what are the valid
14 variables. Since ARCH lists x86 and ppc does portage think that obsd/ppc
15 is a valid combination (but it's not in reality)
16 [16:30] <Method> maybe metakeywords
17 [16:31] <Method> so openbsd automatically pulls in obsd OS, all archs's
18 obsd supports, obsd-libc
19 [16:31] <Method> and then specific exceptions can be disabled
20
21 [16:32] <g2boojum> I was thinking that an ebuild might have ARCH=~ppc if
22 the ebuild is in testing for ppc using glibc/linux/gnu (which would be
23 the defaults). An ebuild that is stable on default x86-obsd might have
24 ARCH=x86 USERLAND=bsd KERNEL=obsd (w/ libc=openbsd the default for that
25 profile), or some such. *Shrug* Like I said, it still needs more thinking.
26 [16:33] <g2boojum> I also think the idea of metakeywords is going to be
27 important, since a package that works on one bsd may work on all (in
28 which case we want to use a single bsd USERLAND flag, or some such), or
29 it may not (in which case freebsd might need to be specified somewhere).
30 Ugh.
31
32 [16:35] <Method> yea... it's complex and 90% of the devs aren't going to
33 understand it so it needs to be robust and not overly sensitive
36 Grant Goodyear wrote:
37 > Dear all,
38 > I've attached a GLEP that I've submitted that describes one method to
39 > handle the potential explosion of new keywords that will arise as we
40 > improve Gentoo support for non-linux systems. I have no doubt that my
41 > proposal is deeply flawed, so constructive suggestions will be greatly
42 > appreciated.
43 >
44 > Thanks,
45 > g2boojum
48 > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
49 >
50 > GLEP: 22
51 > Title: New "keyword" system to incorporate various userlands/kernels/archs
52 > Version: $Revision: 1.1 $
53 > Last-Modified: $Date: 2004/03/07 02:20:32 $
54 > Author: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
55 > Status: Draft
56 > Type: Standards Track
57 > Content-Type: text/x-rst
58 > Created: 6-Mar-2004
59 > Post-History: 6-Mar-2004
60 >
61 > Credits
62 > =======
63 >
64 > This GLEP originated from the concerns that Daniel Robbins had with
65 > the *x86obsd* keyword, and his desire to make the KEYWORDS variable more
66 > "feature-rich". Drobbins' original idea was that we should
67 > allow compound
68 > keywords such as gnu/x86, gnu/ppc, and macos/ppc (which would be explicit
69 > versions of the more familiar x86, ppc, and macos keywords). Method noted
70 > that userland/arch failed to capture the full range of possibilities (what
71 > about a GNU userland on a BSD kernel+libc?), and
72 > the issue has languished due to a lack of reasonable solutions.
73 >
74 > Abstract
75 > ========
76 >
77 > As Gentoo branches out to support non-Linux and non-GNU systems (such
78 > as Hurd or the \*BSDs), the potential for an "explosion" of possible
79 > keywords becomes rather large, since each
80 > new userland/kernel/arch/whatever
81 > combination would require a new keyword.
82 > This GLEP proposes replacing the current
83 > KEYWORDS variable with four variables, ARCH, USERNAME, KERNEL, and LIBC,
84 > along with sensible defaults to keep the new system manageable.
85 >
86 > Motivation
87 > ==========
88 >
89 > Since the beginning, Gentoo Linux has been conceived as a "metadistribution"
90 > that combines remarkable flexibility with sensible defaults and exceptional
91 > maintainablilty. The goal of the Gentoo-Alt_ project has been to extend that
92 > flexibility to include systems other than GNU/Linux. For example, the author
93 > of this GLEP has been working to create a version_ of Gentoo that uses
94 > OpenBSD_ as the underlying kernel, userland, and libc. OpenBSD_ supports
95 > a variety of different architectures, so, in principle, we would need a new
96 > *openbsd-arch* keyword for each supported architecture. In fact, the situation
97 > is even more complicated, because the Gentoo-Alt_ project would eventually
98 > like
99 > to support the option of "mixing-and-matching" GNU/\*BSD/whatever userlands
100 > and libcs irrespective of the underlying kernel. (Debian_, for example
101 > has a similar BSD project_, except that they have replaced the
102 > BSD userland with a GNU userland.) The net result is that we would need
103 > keywords that specified all possible permutations of arch, userland, kernel
104 > and libc. Not fun.
105 >
106 > .. _Gentoo-Alt: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/index.xml
107 > .. _OpenBSD: http://www.openbsd.com
108 > .. _version: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/bsd/index.xml
109 > .. _Debian: http://www.debian.org
110 > .. _project: http://www.debian.org/ports/netbsd/
111 >
112 > Specification
113 > =============
114 >
115 > New Variables
116 > -------------
117 >
118 > I suggest that we replace the single KEYWORDS variable in ebuilds
119 > with four separate variables: ARCH, USERLAND, LIBC, and KERNEL.
120 >
121 > ARCH:
122 > x86, amd64, cobalt, mips64, arm, hppa, ia64, ppc64, sparc
123 > USERLAND:
124 > gnu, bsd
125 > LIBC:
126 > glibc, openbsd, freebsd, netbsd, macosx
127 > KERNEL:
128 > linux, selinux, openbsd, freebsd, netbsd, macosx
129 >
130 > (The above examples are not meant to be complete. Hurd, for example
131 > is not included because I know very little about Hurd.)
132 > For each variable the standard "-,-\*,~" prefixes would be allowed.
133 > Similarly, `/etc/make.conf` would have ACCEPT_ARCH, ACCEPT_USERLAND,
134 > ACCEPT_LIBC, and ACCEPT_KERNEL variables.
135 >
136 > Reasonable Defaults
137 > -------------------
138 >
139 > To keep this system manageable, we need sensible defaults. An ebuild
140 > that has missing USERLAND, KERNEL, or LIBC variables is provided
141 > with implicit USERLAND="gnu", KERNEL="linux", and/or LIBC="glibc"
142 > variables. However, once a variable is explicitly added (such as
143 > KERNEL="openbsd"), the default is no longer assumed. That is,
144 > one would need KERNEL="openbsd linux" if the ebuild is stable on
145 > both openbsd and linux kernels.
146 >
147 > The ARCH variable, on the other hand, does *not* have a default, per se.
148 > Instead, if no ARCH variable exists then portage would automatically
149 > add the ebuild's KEYWORD entries to ARCH. Thus, all current ebuilds
150 > would still work without changes, allowing for a gradual transition
151 > to the new system as the new variables are needed.
152 >
153 > Profiles
154 > --------
155 >
156 > Along with an explosion of keywords comes a concomitant explosion
157 > of potential profiles. The good news is that profiles show up only
158 > in a single directory, so an explosion there is easier to contain.
159 > I suggest an arch-kernel-userland-libc-version naming scheme, with
160 > the kernel-userland-libc terms defaulting to linux-gnu-glibc if
161 > absent. (Yes, Chemists do tend to be fond of systematic naming
162 > systems.)
163 >
164 > One drawback to having a large number of profiles is that maintainance
165 > becomes a significant problem. In fact, one could reasonably argue
166 > that the current number of profiles is already too many to be
167 > easily maintained. One proposal that has been raised to simplify
168 > matters is the idea of stackable, or cascading, profiles, so that
169 > only differences between profiles would have to be maintained.
170 >
171 > Rationale
172 > =========
173 >
174 > The proposed new "keywording" system is far from elegant, which is
175 > a substantial drawback. On the other hand, it is simple, it requires
176 > relatively minor changes (albeit ones that eventually would impact
177 > every ebuild in the portage tree), and the changes can be implemented
178 > gradually over time.
179 >
180 > Implementation
181 > ==============
182 >
183 > Implementation of this GLEP would divide into adding
184 > Portage functionality to support the new system and
185 > modifying ebuilds to
186 > comply with the new system.
187 > The Portage support involves hacking Portage
188 > to assemble and check a four-state
189 > arch-userland-kernel-libc variable instead of the simpler
190 > KEYWORD variable. One might quibble over algorithmic issues, but
191 > the actual concept is pretty straightforward. Rewriting ebuilds,
192 > on the other hand, is a massive undertaking. Fortunately, it is
193 > also a process that can be done over whatever length of time is
194 > required, since "legacy" ebuilds should work with no changes.
197 > Backwards Compatibility
198 > =======================
199 >
200 > Backwards compatibility has already been addressed in some detail,
201 > with the stated goal being a system that would leave all current
202 > ebuilds in a still-functioning state after the portage modifications
203 > have been made. However, we are already using an ARCH variable for
204 > some arcane purpose in Portage, and that issue would still need to
205 > be resolved.
208 > Copyright
210 >
211 > This document is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution / Share
212 > Alike license. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0)
216 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list