From: Philip Walls <malverian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Portage local package revisions
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:37:13
1 On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 09:22:04AM +0200, George Shapovalov wrote:
2 > ????????????, 21. ?????????????? 2006 01:05, malverian@g.o ???? ????????????????:
3 > [...]
4 > > I'm writing to ask for your opinion on a change to sys-apps/portage that
5 > > would allow users to maintain local revisions of ebuilds, such as
6 > > "net-www/apache-2.0.58-r2-local1".
7 > [...]
8 > Um, I am not clear on what exactly your approach proposes that is not already
9 > available via just using a local portage overlay? From the description or
10 > cited cases this seems to be exactly this feature, or am I missing something?
13 You are missing something. The point of a local revision number is that
14 it would allow an actual version bump so the package is seen as an
15 upgrade. If you read the detailed explanation of #3, you can see why
16 this is useful.
19 > George
20 >
21 > --