From: "C. Brewer" <cbrewer@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What is happening to the desktops?
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:48:04
1 On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:08:02 -0500
2 Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I don't know how Gnome is set up, but all you need for a KDE installation
5 > is to emerge kde-base/kdebase. It will pull down arts, kdelibs, and any
6 > other system lib dependencies you don't already have. The dependencies in
7 > these builds are relatively minor. If you don't already have Qt it will
8 > pull that in as well (rather large).
9 >
10 > I don't see how this can be construed as "too many dependencies". On my
11 > P4-2200 this whole process takes about 2 hours. Before high speed
12 > broadband, it used to take me that long just to download the source code.
13 >
14 > Now, if you start installing all of the other *optional* kde packages
15 > (games, multimedia, ..) it will increase your installation time 5 fold.
16 >
17 > Caleb
18
19 I suppose optional is open to interpretation..but I was looking here-
20 http://www.kde.org/download/ and what shows there is what the kde people
21 consider a full installation, and the only prerequisite is qt, of course.
22 Mike has already pointed out a couple of problems that could be improved,and
23 in true vanilla fashion `emerge kde` should pull no more then whats listed
24 at their site. I applaud your good fortune in having a fast cpu and
25 connection, whereas my k6-2 500 and 56k connection find this mildly
26 annoying. I think the fast cpu/fast connection has maybe jaded some devs
27 because while it costs "relatively minor" time at their end, it increases
28 5x at the low end. I would be happy to prvide a USE free list of packages to
29 be emerged if that would help:) This rant was merely aimed at the number of
30 deps Gentoo calls for vs. the number the vanilla source calls for.
34 Chuck Brewer
35 Registered Linux User #284015
36 Get my gpg public key at pgp.mit.edu!! Encrypted e-mail preferred.