From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Becoming a Gentoo developer?
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 14:34:05
1 On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 14:50:00 +0200 hasufell wrote:
2 > >> If you have followed the recent discussions about gentoos organizational
3 > >> structure, review workflow and overlay situation you would know that
4 > >> there is a pretty simple solution for this problem.
5 > >
6 > > I have followed them and I have seen no solution usable in real
7 > > world.
10 > The solution is that for example the ruby project assigns a few
11 > reviewers (e.g. project lead) and if someone wants to bump ruby
12 > packages, he submits a pull request and the assignee is going to be the
13 > ruby project. What's the problem?
14
15 The problem is double effort: previously one developer effort was
16 needed, now effort is doubled at least: reviewers must dig into
17 details how submitted code works, test it and only then commit. Now
18 remember that reviewers are also developers. This means that pull
19 requests will hang for weeks, months, forever due to a lack of time.
20 On top of all this thinks about maintainer-needed packages or
21 packages that can't be categorised into some single project, e.g.
22 *-misc categories.
23
24 > Do you think the usb-subsystem maintainer of the kernel is going to
25 > fiddle with the cryptography subsystem all by himself? That's not the
26 > case. And that's why the linux kernel workflow works: competence,
27 > subsystems and trust.
28
29 As I pointed above comparision of Gentoo with Linux kernel is
30 invalid. We have different resources. Another argument that
31 connectivity between subsystems is much higher in the Linux kernel.
32
33 > All that is done in real world. And there are tons of tools to automated
34 > such a workflow easily without dumping everything to a single mailing list.
35
36 Reviews cannot be automated. A human being is still needed to read,
37 understand and test proposed code. All tools like pull requests and
38 so automate only a small bit of real work.
39
40 > Global reviews will only happen when stuff is actually of global
41 > importance, like non-trivial eclass changes or far-reaching technical
42 > decisions.
43
44 We already have that with gentoo-dev mail list. And I'm happy with
45 current solution. If you can't handle patchset from e-mails, learn
46 houw to use tools, e.g. quilt.
47
48 > So please do some research first before doing broad statements about
49 > what kind of workflow is possible.
50
51 I already done such research and my conclusion is that it can't be
52 fundamentally changed. Only small improvements here and there are
53 possible.
54
55 > Other distros successfully use such workflows.
56
57 Other distros are binary based. They don't have USE flags, they
58 don't have plenty of different compilers and environments. All they
59 do is package building with predefined set of options in a fixed
60 environment for each arch. Gentoo is much more complex than that.
61 You can compare only apples to apples, not apples to plane.
62
63 Best regards,
64 Andrew Savchenko