From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: best way to introduce USE=prefix
Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 20:50:37
1 On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 04-04-2009 20:41:34 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> The two aren't mutually contradictory. Quite the contrary.
4 >>
5 >> For EAPI 3, we're aiming to make it illegal to do anything with a flag
6 >> unless it's either explicitly listed in IUSE or handled via a number of
7 >> special magic profile variables, so you'd either have to list it
8 >> everywhere or use one of the profile variables. Once you do that, how
9 >> you mask / force it is up to you, unless you need some kind of special
10 >> package manager handling for that flag.
11 >
12 > Sounds to me it would be ok then to add it now in use.mask, and then
13 > EAPI 3 is done, define it in whatever special variable it needs to be
14 > added to according to the specs then.  IUSE_IMPLICIT -- assuming it can
15 > be defined in the profiles -- seems like a good way to prepare for that,
16 > since it makes explicit it is implicit, IMO.
17
18 Alright, I have talked to a few people in IRC. This solution seems to work:
19
20 * IUSE_IMPLICIT="prefix" in base/make.defaults (for EAPI-3 and greater)
21 * prefix in base/use.mask (so no profiles will be able to use it
22 unless specifically unmasked)
23 * unmask USE=prefix and force it in prefix profiles - not in gentoo-x86 yet
24
25 Patch located here if anyone cares to look:
26 http://dev.gentoo.org/~darkside/tmp/USE-prefix.patch
27
28 This is the combined logic of this thread, anything I overlooked?
29
30 Thanks,
31 Jeremy