From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Chromium bundled code
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 21:41:01
1 On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 11:28:49AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote
2
3 > However, my whole point wasn't to throw stones at the chromium team -
4 > I think that they've been doing a great job of fixing this problem,
5 > and will continue to do so. I just was pointing out that Google's
6 > practice of bundling dependencies wasn't to my liking, but that I
7 > wasn't going to give them too much of a hard time precisely because
8 > I'm not being part of the solution.
9
10 I think Chromium's problem is that it's based on Chrome. And Google
11 is "pulling an AOL" by trying to turn Chrome into an OS for its
12 Chromebooks. To paraphrase the old emacs joke... Chrom(e/ium) is a
13 mediocre OS that lacks a lightweight web browser. I just did a
14 "pretend" build for Chromium. I fail to understand why a *WEB BROWSER*
15 needs elfutils and dbus and udev as hard-coded dependancies. The udev
16 dependancy is a show stopper for me, as I've migrated over to mdev. See
17 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev That page is now mostly other
18 people's contributions. I was the rabble-rouser who started it.
21 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>