From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: sys-libs/zlib: punt from system in profiles
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 16:35:04
On 11/30/2011 08:09 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 November 2011 01:23:59 Zac Medico wrote: >> If it wasn't for implicit system dependencies, the system set and its >> dependencies wouldn't need this kind of special treatment. > > if it wasn't for implicit system dependencies, we'd have significant bloat in > the tree
I'm not suggesting that we do away with implicit dependencies entirely. However, I think it's good to minimize them, as removing packages like sys-libs/zlib from the system set tends to do.
> and circular deps out the wazoo
Ignoring circular dependencies doesn't make them go away. Ignoring dependencies can lead to build failures that could have been avoided if they were expressed in a way that the dependency resolver could properly account for them.
> there's absolutely no reason every package should depend on sh, find, gawk, ls, > sed, grep, make, gcc, libc, as/ld
Agreed, but as said, it's good to minimize these implicit deps.
> i wouldn't mind seeing gzip/bzip2/xz being auto calculated from SRC_URI ... > though it would make a system without any of those tricky to bootstrap, so > we'd have to pick at least one
Yeah, that would be a nice EAPI extension. -- Thanks, Zac