From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibreSSL import plan
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 12:59:34
1 On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 07:49:24 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 5:50 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > >
7 > > Yes, that's what gnome team is doing with gtk2 vs gtk3; however, I'm
8 > > not sure how much work it is. Only package I know of providing
9 > > different slots depending on what it's built upon is webkit-gtk.
10 > >
11 > > I can't imagine every library using {open,libre}ssl provide two
12 > > slots, two different libraries, two different pkg-config and the
13 > > like files, etc. And every package using a library that uses a
14 > > library that uses a library that uses {open,libre}ssl to have to
15 > > chose what ssl library to use.
18 > I don't think the suggestion is to make it so that any package can be
19 > built against either, though individual maintainers can support this.
20 >
21 > I think the suggestion is to make it so that the libraries themselves
22 > can be installed side-by-side, so that packages can depend exclusively
23 > on one or the other and not effectively block each other.
24
25 I don't think so, and I explained why it doesn't work: Loading both of
26 them in the same process screws things up.
27
28 See:
29 https://blog.flameeyes.eu/2008/06/a-few-risks-i-see-related-to-the-new-portage-2-2-preserve-libs-behaviour#gsc.tab=0
30
31 and replace changing major number by changing library name, it's the
32 exact same deal, or worse since it is now "permanent".