From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Current status with openssl-1.1
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 09:21:35
1 Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o> wrote:
2 > So, basically openssl is the last big showstopper for openssl-1.1 to
3 > get out of p.mask.
4
5 s/openssl/openssh/
6
7 Another showstopper is net-libs/wvstreams, hence net-dialup/wvdial.
8 BTW, this is a Debian bug open without any comment since April 2017:
9 https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=859791
10 Debians and Archs workarounds can be called slotting of openssl:1.0
11 https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=828603
12
13 While many of the new opaqueness problems are easy to fix,
14 some functions of wvstreams rely so much on internals which are
15 inaccessible with openssl-1.1 that they seem impossible to convert.
16 My guess (I am not an openssl guru) is that the whole wvstreams
17 implementation would need to change, maybe also the provided API with
18 some functionality being dropped or attacked completely differently.
19 The uncommented bugreports and missing PRs suggest that this will
20 never happen by upstream, and there also seems to be no fork with it.
21
22 Maybe for wvstreams a workaround might be to mask/remove USE=ssl:
23 Perhaps wvdial would then loose some functionality (does anybody
24 know what would break?) but given how useful wvdial is, this is
25 better than dropping it completely.