From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo on Discord
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 17:43:49
1 On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 1:22 PM Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > It matters if things are perceived as official Gentoo and causing a
4 > negative reputation as in the article in this thread. One some level
5 > that actually goes to trademark infringement that should be of interest
6 > to the foundation, but the issue is broader than that.
9 While I don't speak for the Foundation, they already have a fairly
10 decent policy addressing this:
11 https://www.gentoo.org/inside-gentoo/foundation/name-logo-guidelines.html
12
13 I believe this really only applies to use outside of Gentoo, and not
14 internal use. Whether a service like a Discord site falls under
15 internal use probably depends on the degree to which they are
16 completely subject to Council/Trustees/etc, and the social contract
17 and code of conduct as enacted by those bodies.
18
19 For non-internal use the name/logo guidelines already have
20 requirements around reputation and code of conduct. You can't just
21 call yourself "Gentoo" and do whatever you want (not that I'm implying
22 that this is what any particular site is doing - I haven't even seen
23 the discord).
26 Rich